Tuesday, July 1, 2008

RIP, Mr. Turner

Not to curse this blog with a bad news first post, but then, not that I even believe in that hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo, and not that this is even about me.

I'm out of the loop, apparently. I haven't been visiting my favorite comics forum ever, the SuperheroHype forums, lately. So I missed the news that Michael Turner had died. And I've got to say, that really sucks.

Let's spare any cliched statements that could be said. Instead, I'll say that I loved Turner's art a good deal. His talent was up there regardless of what he was doing. He had a great talent for covers, and that talent was (rightfully) sought after by the big two.

But why do I love Turner the most? Because he had the balls to take his creative vision and go against Top Cow (a company I do love) when he had to, and create his own publishing company, Aspen Comics. And I love Aspen Comics, I really do. I might own more Marvel comics than anything else, because I'm a Marvel whore, but my Aspen collection rivals my DC collection and, despite my love for Batman and Nightwing, is far more dear to me. It's like my precious little hobby. I got a hold of the old Top Cow Fathom TPB through Ebay. I ordered a ton of Fathom and Soulfire issues through Aspen's store. Hell, ask James, who owns and operates my local comic store: I'm the only person in the area, I think, who buys Aspen. Without me, he wouldn't order any! (And he'd probably be happier.)

I'm sure Aspen Comics will keep on publishing. They just started another Fathom run. They're coming out with their Spotlight issues. I anxiously await another run of Iron and the Maiden (which is so freaking awesome, you ought to read it). But I won't - none of us will - see the end of Soulfire as Turner would have pictured it. And that's a damn shame.

No comments: